Thursday, March 21, 2013

My Thoughts: Beyonce's Bow Down Track (Requested)

I recently shared a little tea with you regarding Keyshia Cole's latest twitter rant where she lashed out against Beyonce's Bow Down track. (I also shared the video via the TyPod which has been acting up lately. No worries- tech support is on it!) Now while I did mention that I felt Keyshia was slightly out of line- I never commented on my opinion of the video. For me, the issue wasn't necessarily with WHAT Keyshia was saying- she had some very valid points. But of course, her delivery was off- as usual.

So per request, and somewhat against what I usually would stand for, I can officially declare that I too dislike the track! That's right! I hate it y'all! So hear me out...

First off, Keyshia couldn't have been more accurate in her description of the contradictory verbiage. I mean, we all know Beyonce as this humble, meek character who is all about woman empowerment. Right? Wrong, I guess. Here she is now, boasting and bragging and worse telling bitches to bow down. I mean, don't get me wrong- confidence is key. But I don't know too many "bitches" willing to bow down to Beyonce or anyone else for that matter. For me, the lyrics were weak, the message seemed forced and it just didn't work.

Now let's say, perhaps, that this was not released as a single. But instead was going to be the intro to her much anticipated album. Would I feel differently? Absolutely! As an intro this would work on so many more levels. As a single, try again. Let's say if Rihanna was singing this hot mess, instead of queen Bey. Would I feel differently? Absolutely! I would believe it more first of all. And her edge would make the song work. This is a classic example of a bad song given to a good singer. Period.

I know that the Beyhive is going to swarm with rebuttals- but frankly this is my opinion and you're welcome to yours. I'm more than willing to give Beyonce another shot. Let's just pretend this never happened, ok? Lol


No comments:

Post a Comment